Q & A
Q&A photo_opt
Q & A: It’s all about the balance

Q & A with Devin Dion Brown

Hometown: Columbus, Indiana

Major: Economics & Psychology

Campus activities: Student Ambassador and men’s soccer player

Favorite UIndy tradition: Celebration of the Flags, which welcomes
the University’s many international students

Q: Why did you choose UIndy?

I chose UIndy for many reasons. I wanted to attend a school where I could play soccer. UIndy was also my choice because of its quality business school, as well as the opportunity I would have to get my undergraduate business degree and MBA in just five years as opposed to the usual six.

At the time I’d made my decision, my parents were planning to move to Iowa (they didn’t, thank goodness), so I would have been far from home. But my sister goes to a college nearby, so being at UIndy allowed me to be close to her, too.

Q: What is your favorite part about UIndy?
My favorite aspect of UIndy is that basically everything’s free. Laundry, parking, sporting events—it’s all free. (I say “free,” my parents call it “included.”)

Q: Where do you like to study?
I like to study in my room at the house that I rent with a couple of buddies just off campus. The Krannert Memorial Library is close by, too, if I need a quiet place to study.

Q: How do you balance being an athlete and a student?
I’ve been playing soccer since I was six years old and been in school for a little bit longer, so I’ve had a lot of experience balancing soccer and school. The biggest thing is time management. I plan my days to make sure I get everything done in the correct time frame. Prioritizing is important too. I had to learn to do what is more urgent (or what assignments are due first) rather than doing what’s easiest first.

Q: What advice do you have for prospective students?
My advice would be to be absolutely sure about where you’re going to spend the next 4+ years of your life! Visit, visit, visit, talk to people, get feedback, research! Do as much as you can to make sure you’re 100% confident in your college choice!

Q: What’s your favorite item among UIndy’s dining options?
My favorite food is the burritos or the nachos at Fiesta Grill. And I always get the nacho cheese added to them from Streets Grill, next door. I highly recommend this to those who haven’t tried it!

Q: Favorite thing to do in Indy?
My favorite thing to do in the city is to ride my bike downtown to the Circle with my roommates. It’s a little more than 13 miles round-trip, so riding around gives me a pretty good workout when I’m not in soccer season.

Q: What’s it like living on campus? Is it easy to make friends?
It’s definitely a way different experience, but it’s pretty cool in the end. It’s nice being only a five-minute walk away from food and classes, as well as to have all of my friends so easily accessible. And it’s definitely easy to make friends. I’ve met plenty of friends just from seeing them in class, in the dining halls, or around the University in general. As a whole, the students at UIndy are very welcoming.

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?
My plans after graduation are to either get my PhD in Psychology or Economics, get some hands-on experience with whatever degree I choose, and to eventually become a college professor.