Inside Scoop
terrence-Harewood
Your passport to understanding

You’ve probably noticed by now: not all education at UIndy takes place inside of a classroom.

And if you take one of Terrence Harewood’s Spring Term classes, you might find yourself learning in Cuba or Barbados, or retracing the footsteps of civil rights leaders in the American South. He’s a 12-year veteran of UIndy’s School of Education, and his classes each semester include Teaching in a Diverse Society and Social & Political Context of Education. But each May, he gets to teach something a little different. That’s because Spring Term at UIndy refers to a three-week period in May that gives you the opportunity to enroll in a course not offered during the regular semester. Each Spring Term course has an interdisciplinary, creative, or innovative focus; some involve national or international travel.

For Terrence, that has meant leading three trips (so far) back to Barbados, his home.

“When we take students there, they get to see and learn about the island from a former resident and get more out of the experience,” he explains. “I customize the trip based on your major, so elementary education majors go visit local schools. Social workers visit area hospitals or child development centers, and so on.”

Terrence wants students to develop a global awareness and be unafraid of new cultural experiences. Last year, he led a group of students to Cuba. He’s already planning a return.

“It was amazing,” he said. “That trip was about demystifying the stereotypes about Cuba. We also studied U.S. foreign policy and how it is affecting the residents of Cuba. It was a phenomenal experience.”

Many students then came home and wrote to their representatives, making sure they were aware of the daily struggles of the Cuban people.

Don’t fear differences

“I want to challenge the students to think differently about others,” Terrence says. “I want them to think about people who may have a different value system or way of life and not fear it.”

Another trip took students to the southern U.S. to meet with leaders from the civil rights movement and visit key locations of the era.

“We do have a lot of fun on these trips,” Terrence explains, “but more importantly, students grow significantly from these experiences.”

When he isn’t teaching, Terrence enjoys spending time with his family or working out. But he also truly loves being on campus.

“I love the people I work with, and I really love my students more than anything else,” he says. “I greatly appreciate the lifetime connections that are made with my students and how I’ve kept in touch with so many of them, even years after they have graduated.”

He has a bit of advice for you: be prepared to grow.

“Challenge yourself,” he says. “Don’t just find people like yourself. Meet people from different backgrounds. We have people here from all over the world. It can be so fulfilling to meet others and learn about them. Embrace the differences.”

Terrence stars in ad for the university. Check it out below.