Spring 2014
daventry
Working the opportunities

‘I am speaking from experience when I say that these internships are within clicks away from you ’

Daventry Burroughs, who graduated in December, took advantage of the many opportunities UIndy offers its students, and he’s a firm believer that you should, too. Daventry, who studied accounting with a minor in information systems (and finished with enough credits to take the Certified Public Accountant exam upon graduation), stayed busy as a student, part of his commitment to taking advantage of opportunities. That includes serving as the vice president of finance for UIndy’s Student Business Leadership Academy for a year.

“During my time on the board, our executives were able to organize a volunteer service trip to Pattison’s Academy, a school for children with special needs located in South Carolina,” Daventry says. “The experience was amazing.”

He and his team felt great about being able to represent UIndy while assisting others who were in need.

Developing job skills

IMG_1047Also during his time at UIndy, Daventry worked with the Student Employment Internship Team, which provided him with on-the-job training to help him further develop his personal skills. The program even allowed him and other students in business-related majors to speak with business professionals to improve their résumés and interview with potential employers.

“I am thankful that I was able to participate, as well as help conduct one of the events,” Daventry said. “The opportunities that the School of Business provides for its students are so essential for our success. That is what I love about this school.”

Daventry’s campus activities did not end there. He also served as a resident assistant for three years.

“The Residence Life staff are such a strong supporting group of people, and the friendships and bonds that came from that are special to me,” Daventry said. “I was able to give a speech at the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Roberts Hall, and it was an honor to speak at such a historical event. Words couldn’t express the joy I felt.”

Through UIndy’s internship and career database, Daventry found his first internship, at the Disciples of Christ Center. He then went on to secure a part-time job working for the state.

Interview Day pays off

Now, Daventry works at K. B. Parrish LLP & Co. as a staff accountant. He says he has UIndy to thank for this position because of an opportunity called Accounting Interview Day, during which he was able to meet with representatives of six accounting firms.

“Accounting Interview Day was such a great experience, and it served as a chance to represent my school well by putting all the skills I had been taught to the test,” Daventry says. “I received multiple offers from different firms and UIndy played a huge role in my decision.”

Daventry is eager to share some advice and the keys to his success with other students. First, he encourages students to use the resources that are available to them—including UIndy’s internship and career database.

Also, “the School of Business provides so many opportunities to apply for internships in the Indianapolis area,” he said.
“I am speaking from experience when I say that these internships are within clicks away from you.”

The team approach

Second, surround yourself with a strong supporting cast. In order for you to succeed, you have to surround yourself with a good team, Daventry advises.

“A team is not out for personal gain or benefit—they’re looking out for the well-being of their teammates,” he explains.

Also, try something new.

“Go out and try things you wouldn’t normally try,” Daventry says, “and do things you wouldn’t ordinarily do. Make friends from a different part of the world, or join a club you would have never thought of joining. Venture and discover.”

Daventry truly did take his own advice during his time at UIndy.

“The University does great things for its student body and they will continue to open doors for you,” he says. “[I’m] thanking God for His decision to lead me to UIndy and all the wonderful things that unfolded because of that choice.”

—Ariana Gainer ’14

Tags: