Features
ShawnD
Shooting for success

Shawn Dechant’s education at UIndy started him on the road to seven NBA finals, three Super Bowls, and, now, his fourth Olympic Games. The ’97 Communication graduate is an Emmy-winning independent videographer who ran a camera for NBC at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Shawn spent his time in Sochi at the Extreme Park Venue covering such events as snowboarding halfpipe, freestyle aerial, and mogul.

Going for gold

His camera was running when Canadian men’s freestyle skier Alex Bilodeau captured the gold and immediately went over to hug his source of inspiration—his brother, Frederic, who has cerebral palsy.

“You don’t get many opportunities in sports to cover a story like that,” Shawn said to Inside UIndy.

Shawn was shooting when snowboarder Shaun White earned gold at the Vancouver games, and he was there again when White concluded his final run on the halfpipe at Sochi.

“He remembered me from 2010,” Shawn said to his hometown newspaper, the Goshen News. “To be around a guy like this, when it could probably be his last Olympics, is pretty cool.”

But Shawn’s favorite Olympic moment came in 2008 at the Beijing summer games. He covered the swimming events and was on the pool deck when swimmer Michael Phelps earned his historic eighth gold medal.

“Having the opportunity to be there that week was definitely a dream,” says Shawn.

DeChamp_opt

As an independent contractor, Shawn lives in Phoenix and does work with ESPN and ABC covering college football, major league baseball, and the NBA (he’s seen capturing LeBron James, above). In addition to assisting with Olympic coverage, he also covers some Sunday Night Football.

“I love what I do and have a front row seat for some of the biggest moments in sports,” he says. “UIndy gave me quite a few opportunities that have helped me to get to this point in my career. I’ll never forget working at the WICR radio station broadcasting games and doing the afternoon news. It is another experience that has helped me to grow as a person. I am definitely a proud Greyhound.”