Spring 2015
AndrewLamping
Recent grad uses marketing skills to become a social media maven

Sometimes it’s all about being in the right place at the right time.

For Andrew Lamping, UIndy Class of ’11 and entrepreneurship graduate, it means knowing how to put a business in the right place at the right time. Andrew is the founder and CEO of Cyclone Social, a strategic marketing company based in Fort Wayne, Ind. What this means is that Andrew can work with any firm, from an accounting office to a restaurant, to help them accomplish business goals using social media.

“Companies come to me with a problem and I fill in the blanks with solutions for them,” he explains. “I ask them, ‘Where can we fit social media into your sales strategy? Or your marketing plan? Or your human resources plan?’”

A social strategy

Andrew launched his company almost three years ago and added six employees in 2014, growing his business by 500 percent in one year. His company works with only one client in each field, meaning that he won’t take on competing firms. He has worked with clients from Colorado to Florida and has helped realtors, medical companies, and even a spinal implant business.

“I built the company around entrepreneurship and business ownership using social media,” he says, “which is really something that separates me from my competition.”

Andrew gets to know the business and its goals before going on to develop a strategy.

“If a business comes to me and says that they want to have more sales in Indianapolis with women between the ages of 20 and 35, for example, then my company decides which social media platforms we can use and how we can accomplish their goals for them,” he explains.

The business strategy may include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or even Snapchat.

“I love listening to Twitter,” he says. “That’s where you can find the important conversations. Social media is not just advertising. It’s where people are hanging out. It’s like a giant cocktail party with all of your clients and you need to know what to do and how to accomplish your business goals.”

Good preparation

Andrew credits part of his success to his experiences at UIndy.

“The entrepreneurship program was extra beneficial,” he says. “Getting real-world experiences during school made learning more effective and better prepared me for life after graduation. The fact that the professors were all professionals in the business world was really helpful.”

Business professors at UIndy have an average of twelve years of work experience in the private sector before coming back to the classroom. With an average class size of 18 and a student-to-faculty ratio of 12 to 1, it is easy for students to develop relationships with professors. Stanley Osweiler, instructor of marketing and entrepreneurship, proved to be an important professor for Andrew.

“All of my professors were awesome,” Andrew says, “but Professor Osweiler was one of my top business mentors. He was someone whom I could lean on
and we stay in touch even today.”

In the know

Outside of the classroom, Andrew got involved with the Campus Program Board and was a student ambassador for the Office of Admissions. Andrew also founded the entrepreneurship club his junior year and served as president for two years. A great deal of Andrew’s success is credited to being connected to the right people and identifying opportunities and the need in the industry.

“That was where it all came together for me,” he says. “I built a company from scratch, but it really revolved around knowing the right people. Last year was a crazy year, and I hope this year is just as crazy.”

—Quiaira Johnson ’17