Cover
Mizraim-Lorenzo
Career 4 kids

Nelson Mandela once said, “Education is the most powerful weapon, which you can use to change the world.”

Mizraim Lorenzo-Aguilar, a junior in the Secondary Education program at UIndy, shares a similar belief in his future career field. “No profession or career can be made without a teacher,” he says, “because even doctors and lawyers need a teacher to become who they want to be.”

Mizraim, originally from Veracruz, Mexico, tallied 14 college acceptance letters before deciding on the University of Indianapolis. He attributes his decision to the faculty and staff he met during his visit. “I had spoken with professors from the School of Education even before visiting UIndy,” he says, “which was something none of the other schools I considered offered. When I did arrive on campus, I was received with the warmest welcome.”

“Education is the most powerful weapon, which can change the world”

Catch him if you can

Now preparing to start his third year at UIndy, Mizraim has embraced campus life to the fullest. He works on campus as a resident assistant and is the vice president of Indianapolis Student Government. At last count, he belongs to eight student organizations, one of which is the Student Education Association. The SEA plans events for the UIndy campus and attends conferences to learn about national and global issues related to the field of education.

Mizraim also dedicates a great deal of time to his field of study. As a Secondary Education and Spanish major, Mizraim one day hopes to work in either a middle school or high school. He’s already had many chances at hands-on experiences in classrooms around the city.

Beginning in freshman year, UIndy education majors get to observe various classes and grade levels in both urban and suburban settings. They also participate in follow-up seminars to discuss what they have observed and learned about some of the issues related to teaching in the 21st century.

The University of Indianapolis School of Education was nationally recognized in 2013 for partnerships with local K–12 schools.

“As a freshman, I was in schools observing and learning how to apply what I was seeing,” he says. “I also had field experiences at an elementary school where I would work closely with a sixth grade teacher and students.”

Mizraim_Lorenzo-Aguilar-1156

During his sophomore year, Mizraim had the opportunity to intern at a high school, working with a Spanish teacher and students. “I had the opportunity to co-teach and help students with their Spanish,” he says. “I was also able to lead several of the lessons when the teacher was sick or unable to be in the classroom.”

As a junior, Mizraim will continue his field experiences with a number of methods classes. Taught on-site in secondary schools, these courses are designed to help students practice and improve their teaching skills in a real-world setting.

Eventually Mizraim will participate in two student teaching experiences at the middle and high school levels. Like all senior education students, he will co-teach in two schools so that he is prepared to manage his own classroom when he graduates.

Teaching hearts

Dr. Colleen Mulholland of the School of Education has been a meaningful part of Mizraim’s time at UIndy. “Each and every one of my professors has challenged me to strive for more than what I believed was possible,” he explains. “They have challenged me to think like a teacher and to think about the kind of teacher I want to be. Dr. Mulholland has been there beside me from the very beginning and is a source of constant support. For that I will always be grateful.”

Mizraim’s hopes that his time at UIndy will help him to be a teacher and educator who can help to change the world. “My dream is not only to teach the brain but to teach the hearts of each and every one of my students, and to know that I have made a difference.”

By Steven Freck ’16