Cover
blake_schneider_discover_dark_background_0641
Discovering purpose

UIndy senior seizes career-shaping opportunity

schneiderBlake Schneider knew from a young age that he was destined for a career in business. His father is a business owner. He watched as his uncle worked from an entry-level position at Turner Sports to become vice president of the company. Blake is a self-described networker and people person. Now, after a digital insights and innovation internship with Discovery Channel in Chicago, he is well positioned for a successful career in sales and marketing.

Blake spent this summer at Discovery working directly with clients who were interested in advertising with Discovery Channel. For the UIndy senior, the time spent working in marketing data and research is preparing him to be a successful salesperson.

“The marketing research department is such a vital part of sales,” he says. “When this internship presented itself, I ran with it. By understanding the research data, I can be a better multipurpose salesperson.”

UIndy’s Business Education reputation

Blake credits UIndy faculty members and classes with preparing him to enter the workplace. His professors have business and marketing work experience, most notably Dr. Katherine Bohley, who has 20 years of private sector experience in marketing and international business. Thanks to small class sizes and a 12-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, Blake has been able to interact with his professors and reap the benefits.

“I had Dr. Bohley for a lot of my marketing classes, and she used real-life experiences as much as possible, such as her experiences working in foreign countries. She also let us research companies that we interact with often, such as fast food chains,” he explains. “All of the things we researched revolved around us as millennials. There were several times this summer at Discovery when I was in a meeting and was able to reference a project that we did in class and use it to my advantage.”

Blake says that UIndy’s hands-on teaching approach and networking opportunities are helping him to hone business skills that he can use in a future career.

“UIndy’s business school is great,” says Blake. “When I applied they had a job placement rate in the upper 90s for business school graduates. For me that was the first indication that I would learn a lot from the professors who would help me to acclimate and get a good job.”

The right connections

UIndy’s Professional Edge Center played a key role in Blake’s ability to land internship opportunities with major companies. The Professional Edge Center helps students from all academic areas to identify career pathways, interact with business professionals, and develop professional and interpersonal skills.

“The Center helped me with my résumé and interview skills,” says Blake, “and they also helped me to find internship opportunities.”

According to the Center, 96 percent of UIndy alumni say they are prepared for their first job after graduation, and 94 percent say the student-faculty connection provided an advantage in the work force. Associate Vice President Corey Wilson identifies transition to the workplace as one of the most important advantages to choosing UIndy.

“The Professional Edge Center helps students and graduates develop the network, skills and confidence to ensure a seamless transition from education to the world of work,” he says. “As a result, we are confident that our students will become professionals committed to civic engagement and community leadership.”

Learn more about the Professional Edge Center at proedge.uindy.edu