Fall 2016
Student Evan Wilks is active on campus, including being live on air on WICR 88.7 radio twice a week.  He's being featured under the student profile section in the Fall/Winter 2016 edition of Inside UIndy.  Here he's photographed at the micropohone in the studio on Oct. 3, 2016.  (Photo by D. Todd Moore/University of Indianapolis)
Tuning in to UIndy

Q & A with Evan Wilks ’17

Major: Communication with an emphasis in Sports Information

Fun fact: He interned with the Indiana High School Athletic Association and the Indianapolis Indians AAA professional baseball team. Evan is also a presidential ambassador and was an orientation leader his sophomore and junior year.

Q: Why did you choose UIndy?

A: In high school, I had experience being on-air with a radio station, and I wanted to build on those experiences in college. I chose UIndy because the radio station, WICR, has more than 75,000 listeners per week and freshmen get on-air time immediately.

Q: What do you like best about being a UIndy Greyhound?

A: I love the tight-knit community. Every time I walk across campus, I run into somebody I know. I like the smaller size of campus, the smaller size of the classes and the  individual attention you get from the faculty.

Q: What do you like best about being in the Department of Communication?

A: The opportunities are amazing. I was able to broadcast a Division II football game the first semester of my freshman year, which is unheard of at any other university. The opportunities can pile up on each other. I’ve been to more than 20 different universities to call games and have gotten to know players and athletes.

Q: Which faculty member has inspired you the most?

A: Scott Uecker — the general manager of WICR and an instructor in the Communication Department — taught me in the radio class and communications law class, and I learned a lot from him. He knows a lot of people and has been in the industry for a long time. He pushes for student success and is student-focused. Everything in the radio station is student-produced.

Q: What is your favorite UIndy memory?

A: My sophomore year, the football team was playing St. Joseph’s, and the game was on CBS Sports Network. This was one of the first nationally televised football games in UIndy history. The game went to four overtimes, and we won on a field goal. All of the players and students stormed the field.

Q: What is your favorite campus activity?

A: During Welcome Week, the Foam Party is a blast (hint: wear goggles). I also really enjoy going to the diversity lectures, which focus on a lot of sensitive issues, giving you a different perspective. College is different from high school where those topics were kind of hush-hush. Everything is out in the open in college. I’ve learned that race, politics and gender are all topics that need to be talked about.

Q: What are you most excited about as you continue your studies?

A: I feel like I am prepared to walk across that stage at graduation and I feel ready to get that first job. Going into my senior year, I’ve completed most of my required classes. Now I can focus on internships and work outside of the University and take some classes that aren’t associated with my major. I’m taking a social problems class and other topics that I’m trying to focus on before I head out into the real world. I’m hoping to attend graduate school and maybe pursue sports marketing or management, but I’m not sure, so I’m utilizing as many resources as possible right now to guide me in the right direction.