Student Spotlight
Student Lexes Rubio, an Indy Eleven soccer club intern, poses for portraits at Carroll Stadium at IUPUI, site of the team's home soccer matches,  on Wednesday, September 20, 2017.
Best on the Field

When soccer-loving senior Lexes Rubio ‘18 was given a chance to work as an intern with Indy Eleven, it was a perfect goal shot. The local professional soccer team was looking for an accounting intern, and Lexes fit their needs as an accounting major. 

“I was a soccer player in high school,” says Rubio, “so this related to me on so many levels.” In addition to doing accounting work, Rubio helps at the box office on game days and also does some translation work for the office. “I have been working there for over a year now and I love all the great professional experience that I’m getting,” she says.

Getting involved on campus and in the community and having a wide variety of student-life experiences is something that Rubio has been pursuing since she was a freshman. As a commuter student, she wasted no time getting connected with groups on campus. She felt it was important to join organizations and meet people, which is how she came to be a part of the Accounting Club and the Student Organization of Latinos (SOL).

“Being involved with SOL has taught me so much,” says Rubio. “I started by just attending meetings, but later became a chair member then a vice president and now I’m co-president. It’s such a great way to learn more about other students.”

“I never thought i’d be where i am today. i encourage everyone to push out of your comfort zone and give it a try.” – Lexes Rubio ’18

When she was wrapping up her freshman year, she heard about an opportunity to have an internship with International Cruises and Excursions for six weeks in Mexico.

“It was totally out of my comfort zone, but I said yes and took the leap,” says Rubio. “I am so glad I took advantage of the opportunity!”

Rubio began to realize that internships were just as important as student leadership roles, so as she neared the end of her sophomore year, she turned to Kirk Bryans in the Professional Edge Center to seek his advice on finding a summer internship. Knowing Lexes was a soccer fan, Bryans connected her to Indy Eleven, where she has been for more than a year.

When Rubio graduates in May, she will be spending the summer as an auditor with Ernst & Young. She encourages all students to stop by the Professional Edge Center to see what career or internship options may be available to them.

Rubio also hopes that new students find groups or clubs to get involved with on campus. “It benefits you in so many ways because you get to meet lots of new people,” she says. “You can try for leadership positions and really grow in a group. I never thought I’d be where I am today. I encourage everyone to push out of your comfort zone and give it a try.”