Features
Air Crystal

When Crystal Mills chose UIndy, she planned to go for a journalism degree. During Crystal’s first semester, though, she enrolled in a radio class and absolutely fell in love with it.

Crystal likes the fact that getting involved in radio and other areas of the Communication Department such as TV or newspaper are not only possible for freshmen but are actually encouraged.

WICR Operations Manager, Crystal Mills“You get experience in your area within the first few weeks you’re at UIndy and it continues during your four years of college, instead of waiting a couple of years like students at other colleges do.

“I’m currently working part-time for WIBC as a board operator while I take classes. It’s great experience working behind the scenes, getting that kind of experience.” (WIBC is one of Indiana’s longest-running radio stations, at 93.1 FM, and its offices are downtown on the city’s famed Monument Circle.)

Crystal now has worked on both sides of the glass, as a DJ and a board operator.

“It’s really helpful to be able to learn hands-on, so you can prepare yourself for the ‘real world’ after graduation,” she says.

“I was on the radio within the first few weeks of my freshman year,” Crystal says.
“I learned quickly how to run the equipment as a board operator and I was also a DJ on UIndy Radio 5 ”

Crystal credits her professors for helping connect her with her current job.

“The job I have now is thanks to professor Scott Uecker. He encouraged me to apply for the open position at WIBC, and the rest is history,” Crystal says.

When she isn’t working at the radio station (she admits she works a lot), she really enjoys spending time in downtown Indianapolis. “There are a lot of cool places to go downtown—probably too many to count.”

Learn more about studying communications at UIndy