Student Spotlight
Brushes with greatness

WICR Promotions Manager, Ashlyn ShafferAshlyn Shaffer is a Communication major whose position on UIndy’s radio station, WICR 88.7, landed her in an unexpected place.

“I’ve always been a big Indianapolis Colts fan,” she explains.

“As promotions director of WICR, I thought I’d be watching the 2009 season from the comfort of my own couch—until the day I was asked to cover a Colts game for the station.

“I anxiously watched the game from the press box and then attended the press conference, sitting in back to hide my nervousness. I experienced something fans dream of: getting up close and personal with the Colts.

“I was fortunate to attend not only two regular season games but also the first playoff game against the Ravens and the AFC championship game against the Jets as well.

“My responsibility during the games was to collect the stats after the game, so this left me plenty of time to sit, relax, and enjoy the game from the best seat in the stadium.

“After the game, I’d collect audio from the press conference for a sports wrap we would air on WICR the next day. As I gained confidence each game, I would move closer to the podium in the press conference.

‘ By the championship game, I managed to sit in the very front row, right next to ESPN’s Suzy Kolber. I was so close to Peyton Manning, it was unreal’

“By the championship game, I managed to sit in the very front row, right next to ESPN’s Suzy Kolber. I was so close to Peyton Manning, it was unreal. I could see all of the sweat marks still on his jersey. It was awesome.

“After the press conference, I had the opportunity to go into the locker room and get interviews from Colts players.

“I was very unsure about how a female would function in a men’s locker room filled with players. I walked in and looked to my left, and there was Eli Manning, just hanging out by Curtis Painter. “I started walking around and found Joseph Addai giving an interview, so I stuck my microphone in his face with the others. I was so close I could just reach out and touch him.

“After the interview with Addai, I stood to watch the Manning brothers, then made my way over to my favorite Colts player, Austin Collie.

“As the interview progressed, other people began to surround him, causing me to accidentally bump his arm. We made eye contact and he continued the interview. My heart was about to leap out of my chest.

“If I cover the Colts next year I will definitely not be timid about going in the locker room—and I may even muster up a question or two.

“So watch out, ESPN!”

Learn more about studying communications at UIndy