Features
Focus on the cameraman

Jason Thompson wanted to do more than just read about how TV shows were made. He wanted to get behind the camera and be a part of creating that magic himself.

By the end of his first semester, he had a camera in his hand and was editing content for UIndy TV5. He also learned how to use all the studio and control room equipment.

Jason loves UIndy’s small-college feel, but the experiences he’s had here have been anything but small. A senior now, Jason is the station’s operations manager and a member of the production team. He’s learned how a modern television station should run.

Jason Thompson, UIndy TV Operations ManagerProduction days are his busiest. They start with a staff meeting with professors and other communication students. The show goes live at 1 p.m., so he then rushes to check in with the station’s news director and go over the day’s stories.

“I make sure all the stories are completed by the students of the applied television class,” Jason says. Then he works with his team to set up the studio. Since he’s directing this year, he makes time to go over the script so that he’s prepared.

On non-production days, Jason produces content for UIndy TV5. You’ll find him all over campus, collecting interviews and shooting footage that he’ll edit into stories.

“Unlike at other schools, I was able to get four years of experience in my specific area, and now I feel better prepared for my career goals”

A seasoned communication student, he’s never too busy to share what he’s learned with other UIndy communication majors. He spends 15 hours a week at the TV student management office, helping with projects for the station.

“We’re pretty much a family,” Jason says. “All the communication professors are really friendly. They’ll always help with class assignments or looking for jobs after graduation.”

Last summer, Jason took advantage of UIndy’s location in Indiana’s capital, interning with Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions.

“I learned all the aspects involved with a production company,” he says, and from some of the nation’s best photographers and editors.

But Jason makes time to enjoy campus life, too. “I try to play as many intramural sports as possible—intramural basketball, volleyball, softball, and soccer.

“I like going to a movie theater and seeing the newest movies or to all the different restaurants around Indianapolis, because I love to eat!”

After graduation, Jason wants to go into sports production for a news station or a production
company.

Learn more about studying communications at UIndy