Student Spotlight
Getting the most out of college

UIndy Senior Business Major, Matt LoweryIt’s no secret that students aspire to achieve good grades while in college, but “college” encompasses more than just what happens in a classroom. Here at UIndy, college is about your overall experience.

Want a break from studying? Need a résumé booster? Or would you simply like to do something out of the kindness of your heart? Either way, getting involved outside the classroom can help you grow as a person—and make you more appealing to employers!

The day I became a Greyhound, I began searching for intramural rosters to put my name on. Since then, I’ve grown to appreciate intramurals even more. I love the laid-back yet competitive atmosphere of UIndy intramurals. I’ve met several good friends through the program, which has inspired me to become even more involved on campus.

UIndy offers you opportunities to meet others with the same goals and aspirations. You can join organizations in your field of study—or any organization that sparks your interest. As a group you can take on real-world projects and get hands-on experience before graduation.

The Campus Program Board is the student organization that caught my attention. I’ve helped with blood drives for the Red Cross, planned euchre tournaments, coordinated fitness classes, and refereed a costumed flag-football tournament in the rain. And yes, in case you were wondering, that tournament was quite entertaining. Gumby made one great football player!

At first I underestimated the difficulty in planning and coordinating successful events, but I’ve grown to appreciate the patience and attention to detail needed. I’ve learned to push myself and definitely grown as a person since joining CPB.

My experiences outside of the classroom are just a fraction of what the University of Indianapolis has to offer. Each of you has to find what works for you and then go for it!

Be sure your memories are of college—not just the classroom!

—Matt Lowery, UIndy business major