Spring 2010
Man with a (Jackson) plan

Almost everyone can remember a defining moment in life. For UIndy senior Christopher Jackson, that special moment came after attending the inauguration of U.S. President Barack Obama.

“President Obama’s inauguration made me want to help lead the changes I wanted to see in the community. So after returning from D.C., I began to look into the best way to do it. I eventually chose to pursue a seat on the Indianapolis City-County Council.”

A pre-law political science major, Christopher has long held an interest in politics. Being a part of history, however, inspired him to run for a council seat—at age 21—against the longest-serving City-County Council member and its most recent president.

“I would say that President Obama and Mohandas Gandhi had the biggest inspiration on my decision to run. Gandhi’s message of being the change you believe in, and President Obama’s election proving that people will vote for change —both pushed me to do so.”

“The professors in the History and Political Science department at UIndy are amazing. They’re from all over the world. They bring different perspectives on issues, which has greatly increased my political knowledge. They also have connections within the city of Indianapolis and have helped me with my networking”

Christopher is shooting for the 2011 election and already has raised $1,000 for his campaign. And while his political résumé may be short, he’s confident that his UIndy experience has prepared him well for his run. Christopher also serves as president of UIndy’s chapter of College Democrats and was part of the Obama campaign as well as a campaign for a state representative. And when he has a chance, he loves sharpening his debate skills with his professors.

“I love to debate foreign policy with my professors, especially nuclear proliferation. My background in the physical sciences, along with my studies in International Relations, gives me a unique perspective to debate from in classes.

“I also enjoy talking about national issues and local issues in class.”

He plans to graduate in three years, then attend law school and obtain a master’s in political affairs at the same time. And what about his plan for community change should he win the council seat?

“I have the Jackson Plan, as we’re calling it,” Christopher says. “It focuses on infrastructure, public safety, taxes, and services.”

There’s no debating his drive.