Q & A
Getting down to business

Meet: Andrew Lamping

Class and major: Senior; Entrepreneurship

Activities: Summer Representative, Admissions Ambassador

Job: Indiana Pacers merchandise department

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Indianapolis?

I like the opportunities in this city. Being an Entrepreneurship major, I know there are endless opportunities for work experience, networking events, and social activities.

Q: How did you get your current job?

I work in sales for the merchandise department of the Indiana Pacers. My best friend told me about the job, and so I went in and applied because I thought it would be really cool to work for an NBA team and get valuable experience in sales.

Q: What’s the best part of your Pacers job?

My favorite part of the job is that I’m at every home game. On break we can head out to the arena and watch some of the games, so I really enjoy being in that position.

Q: Why major in entrepreneurship?

I didn’t want to sit behind a desk and work for someone for the rest of my life. I’m a very creative person, and also independent. I always have new ideas and want to run with them. The other major reason is because I love money, and I hope to make boatloads of it by starting
a venture of my own!

Q: Has your work for the Indiana Pacers helped with your business acumen?

Yes, I’ve learned a lot about general sales and communication skills. I have learned a lot about the merchandise industry and sales, but most importantly I gained experience in the real world, which can never be taught in a classroom.

Q: What are your plans after graduating?

I’m working on starting my first company. It’s called Adrenaline Advertising, a digital advertising company that specializes in captive market advertising. My entrepreneurship professor has helped me
a lot in getting this going. I also have a fellow student who is helping me make this idea into a reality.

Q: What makes a good entrepreneur?

The mentality of making money and doing whatever it takes to do so is what drives the entrepreneurial spirit. We’re in business to make money. If you’re not passionate about making money, you won’t
be a good entrepreneur.

Q: Is this a good city for entrepreneurs?

In some ways it’s better than others.

We’re the crossroads of America. In today’s world of technology and the Internet we can be entrepreneurs from just about anywhere. The thing that helps make Indianapolis a better place is that there are tons of business opportunities for networking and clientele.

Q: How has UIndy shaped the way you’ll run your company?

The courses that I have taken have all helped me tremendously in understanding how to start and run a business. I feel very confident that the School of Business has prepared me well for the real world.

“I wouldn’t trade my experience at UIndy for anything.”

Have questions for our students? Write admissions@uindy.edu