Features
MBA, CPA, A-OK!

How does traveling to both Europe and South America, doing three internships, and graduating with an MBA and a CPA sound? If it seems like a pretty good deal, you might want to follow the example of Joey Myles.

Joey came to UIndy to study accounting and ended up taking advantage of the five-year MBA program at the same time.

“UIndy was close to home for me,” he says. “It’s a small campus, so you get lots of personal attention and opportunities to meet lifelong friends.

“I didn’t want to go to a big school where I was one in a million and lost in the crowd,” he explains.

With time out for playing Ultimate Frisbee on the lawn and competing in the odd friendly game of pool, Joey took advantage of all the opportunities he could find. Those included traveling to Europe with the MBA program in May 2009. He packed his bags again the following January when the program headed to South America. MBA students travel each year to other countries to learn how business is conducted internationally, visit cultural sites, and broaden their global understanding. Joey “loved having the opportunity to travel” as part of his studies.

From suitcases to briefcases

Knowing that internships can put you ahead of the game and get your foot in the door at companies, Joey decided to get some experience.

“Internships let you practice your skills,” he says, “and provide excellent networking opportunities.”

In 2007, he worked as a CPA intern at Patterson & Co. and interned for Speedway in the first half of 2008. The next two summers found him interning at Allison Transmission after being recommended for the job by a professor.

“The importance of internships is stressed at UIndy, since it’s a school that prepares you for your future.”

MBA + CPA = DoD

Joey’s future was bright when he finished his undergraduate work in May 2009 with a focus on accounting and wrapped up his MBA in May 2010 with a focus on finance. He accepted a job working with the government as an auditor for the Department of Defense immediately after graduating.

“The fact we did so much work in teams in the classroom really prepared me for real-life work. I’m on a team of auditors at my job, and if you’re not a team player, you don’t survive. But UIndy prepared me for that, and I’d recommend my school
to anyone.”

—Stephanie Snay ’12