Success Stories
Racing to succeed

Audrey Becker, UIndy Class of ’09, is “operations assistant for the International Motorsports Industry Show. I work in the racing industry and help plan a racing tradeshow I helped to start, held in Indianapolis.

“I realized in high school that I wanted to work in sports. My dream of being a college athlete was no longer plausible because of an injury. Even though I couldn’t be an athlete, I still wanted a sports career.

“UIndy is located in the heart of a wonderful city, especially if you want to work in sports.”

“Indianapolis is known as the amateur sports capital of the world,” she says. “There are many organizations and events that help a UIndy student gain experience and knowledge early on. You’re able to start building your résumé in your first semester.”

“In the sports management program, we worked on planning and implementing several different types of events. I use those skills daily at work. I go back to ways that we approached different problems and use some of the same tactics.

“They taught us to think outside the box to solve problems, and I have to do that daily.”

“My UIndy professors encouraged me to follow my dreams and take risks. They believed in me and helped find great internships and experiences that prepared me for my career.

“I was encouraged to volunteer throughout the Indianapolis sports community. I took that advice and worked every event I was able to. The contacts that I made at those events helped to shape my career. I still volunteer at any event I can.

“I’ve worked the 2010 Final Four and the Big Ten basketball tournaments, helped plan the NFL alumni outing, helped plan and run the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in diving, will help work on the 2012 Super Bowl, and work with Peyton Manning’s foundations.

“Hard work and a positive attitude can get you far. Follow your dreams and make a career out of something you love to do, and you’ll have never truly worked a day in your life!”