Success Stories
This just in: careers in sports reporting

Ross Bolin, UIndy Class of ’09, is a sports reporter/anchor for WLFI TV-18 in West Lafayette, Indiana.

“Sports coverage for all the area high schools is very important. We also cover Purdue athletics at home and on the road.

“I’ve had the opportunity to cover Chicago Cubs and White Sox games because of local kids making it to the big leagues.

“From the moment I stepped on campus I knew the University of Indianapolis was the place for me.

“Taking a tour and running into faculty and staff, and seeing firsthand how much they care about all the students, showed me that if I worked hard enough, the people around me would help me reach the goals I set for myself.

“I also could tell right away that all the professors in the Communication department had lots of experiences I could use in deciding exactly what I wanted to do in life.

“I think a defining experience for me was being a part of UIndy TV. Without it I don’t think I would have pursued the TV industry. It gave me confidence that I could do what I’ve always dreamed of.

“Stepping in front of the camera and progressing week by week was very important for my development.

“The first UIndy internship I did was a summer internship with WLFI, a CBS affiliate in my hometown of Lafayette. I found out later that one of the reasons I was given the opportunity was because of the relationship professor Scott Uecker had with the news director. That was the most fun I ever had during a summer job. I knew what I was studying was perfect for me.”

“The biggest advice I could give students is to do as many internships as possible. It’s a great way to figure out exactly what you want to do while narrowing your search.

“I’m a perfect example of what happens when you perform to the best of your ability at an internship. The summer after I graduated I got a part-time job at WLFI, where I interned, and turned that into a full-time job six months later.

“I’d also say it’s very important to trust the faculty at UIndy. They are truly focused on your best interests. Any time I had a question or concern I knew I had the whole Communication department I could count on.

“I’ll never forget how close a bond I had with the people from UIndy I interacted with on a daily basis. I’ll always cherish all the hours I spent on the third floor of Esch Hall.”