Insiders
Choice Voice

Man on a mike

“It started as a summer internship in 2011,” senior Schyler Wood says. “And then I was hired on in August to continue working part-time for Emmis.” Schyler’s worked for Indianapolis-based media conglomerate Emmis Communications for a year now. He’s worked with four radio stations, broadcast at such events as the Brickyard 400, and traveled with the Colts as an engineer for their play-by-play coverage during every regular-season game. “I also did freelance work with ESPN for their radio-row broadcasts during the Super Bowl in Indianapolis,” Schyler says. So how did he land such a great opportunity? He credits the University’s Communication Department with preparing him to work in the field, and especially the hands-on approach UIndy’s Applied Radio program provides.

“All of this has been an amazing opportunity to take what I’ve learned at UIndy and use it in the field,” he says. “UIndy helped me realize what I wanted to pursue as my career, and then gave me the tools to reach those goals.”