Q & A
Making connections

Q & A with senior Chase Stouder

chase-QAMajor: Sport Management with minors in Communication & Marketing
Graduating: December 2014
Campus work experience: Greyhound Ambassador
Campus activities: Track and field
Favorite UIndy tradition: Homecoming football game

Q: Why did you choose UIndy?

A: UIndy offered that small school atmosphere, along with the city life that Indianapolis offers. I also really wanted to run track, and UIndy’s tradition in sports is outstanding.

Q: Have a favorite campus spot?

A: My favorite spot is by far the cafeteria. I mean c’mon—you can’t beat our top 25 national ranking, and who doesn’t love the all-you-can-eat buffet?

Q: What’s best about your major?

A: I love the fact that I can learn about athletics. I’ve been involved in sports for as long as I can remember, and the thought of having a career in sports is like a dream come true.

Q: How about your profs?

A: Professors really take the time to get to know you and help you as much as they can. You’re not just a number in a large lecture hall. They’ll take the time to get to know your name and what your career goals are and then help you achieve those goals as best as they can.

Q: Have you had any internships?

A: I had the opportunity to work for Indy Eleven, which is the new professional soccer team coming to Indianapolis, for a few months last winter. I worked with the president of the team and got to meet the owner and a lot of other really cool people. I was able to observe the process of creating a team and how you market and build a fan base from scratch. I learned about ticket sales and event planning, and I was able to network with lots of individuals in the Indianapolis community.

Q: Do you have a campus job?

A: I’ve been a Greyhound Ambassador giving campus tours since my sophomore year, but this year I’m working more in the office as the Greyhound Ambassador Student Coordinator.

Q: How do you think your time at UIndy will help you reach your goals?

A: UIndy has really prepared me by helping me network and gain the hands-on experience I need for my career. UIndy makes sure we’re totally prepared for whatever may occur in the workplace.

Q: What’s after graduation?

A: I’m hoping to find a job in sports—maybe working in sales or promotions. I also wouldn’t mind working in facility management or any other management position. I’m just going to be open to any opportunity that may come my way.

Q: Have a standout UIndy memory?

A: I do have a few that really stand out for me. First, living in Warren Hall freshman year. Meeting so many new friends and experiencing college life with them was so amazing and something I will always cherish. Second, I was able to go to the Track and Field National Championships in Colorado with the 4×1 and 4×4 relays. Witnessing athletes of that caliber compete was awesome, and the whole trip was an experience I’ll never forget. Finally, during my sophomore year, Justin Gatlin [a sprinter and Olympic gold medalist] came to campus for a track camp. I was able to meet him and talk with him about track. He even followed me on Twitter and has stayed in contact some since then.