Fall 2014
It’s all about the balance

Q & A with Daniel Welty, UIndy Class of ’16

Major: Athletic Training

Campus involvement: Presidential Ambassador and Admissions intern

Favorite UIndy tradition: Homecoming Week! It’s an exciting time with lots of activities, including the parade of golf carts decorated by the students from the residence halls.

Q: What brought you to UIndy?

A: I chose UIndy because of the small-campus atmosphere in a big city. I enjoy the small class sizes with a great student-to-faculty ratio, and UIndy offers a great athletic training program. It’s one of the best in the country, which is the main reason I chose to come here.

Q: What’s your favorite part of UIndy?

A: I not only enjoy how the athletic training program goes beyond classroom lectures but also how it involves hands-on experience. Many programs at UIndy offer the hands-on experience I’ll need to succeed in the workplace. My other favorite part is the variety of service learning opportunities. UIndy definitely stands by their motto: Education for Service.

Q: What advice do you have for prospective students?

A: Choose the university and the program that suits you best. Look at the program you are interested in and review the job outcomes and placement rates. I did this when I was looking at athletic training programs at universities across the state. If you do choose to go to UIndy for athletic training, you will not regret your decision.

Q: How do you balance your clinical work with your other coursework?

A: UIndy offers great advice for time management, including my favorite tool, Gmail calendars. Athletic training clinical rotations take up a majority of my time, which takes away from the amount of time that I can study for classes. It is important to set priorities in my daily life. So, I’ve learned to balance my time between watching Netflix, doing clinical rotations, and studying.

Q: Where do you like to study?

A: I like to study in groups with my athletic training classmates. One of our favorite spots is in an athletic training room—it’s a great place for us to learn and perfect our skills. For my other studies, I like to go to the third floor of the Krannert Memorial Library for a quiet environment.

Q: What’s it like to work with a nationally ranked Division II football team?

A: It’s extremely exciting being on the sidelines working at the games.  I love that athletic training is part of the healthcare field. To know that I had a part in helping those athletes is very gratifying. Not many athletic training students can say they’ve worked with All-American athletes. I look forward to being a part of the Greyhounds’ first national champion football team. GO HOUNDS!

Q: Just for fun: What’s your favorite item among UIndy’s dining options?

A: Since I’m a commuter student and don’t have a meal plan, I enjoy getting card swipes from my friends. My favorite dining option is the Perk. Great coffee and great muffins!

Q: And your favorite thing to do in Indy?

A: I live in Indianapolis now, so much of my daily life is spent in the city. I do enjoy going downtown with my camera and taking pictures of the Indianapolis cityscape. My favorite spot to take scenic pictures is the Canal Walk.

Q: What are your plans after graduating?

A: My plans are to pass the Board of Certification to become a certified athletic trainer. I’d like to be a graduate assistant while I get my master’s degree in athletic training or a related field. To work with collegiate athletes at the Division I level is one of my goals. I hope to eventually get my PhD in Kinesiology or Health and Rehabilitation Science. I may also pursue teaching athletic training at a collegiate level some day.