Cover
Showing a healthy interest

Q & A with Corey Nelson ’15

Major: Public Health Education & Promotion

Current job: Health Promotion Consultant, Humana Inc.
Works to improve the culture of health by influencing policies, creating worksite health initiatives, and more. Also works to create local and onsite connections with additional health and well-being partners.

Q: Why did you choose UIndy?

A: Many reasons! Smaller class sizes, close to home, available scholarships, and familiarity with the location are just a few. One of the biggest things that stuck with me through my time at UIndy was the commitment of the professors to helping students.

Q: Did you have a favorite professor?

A: I can honestly say that I would have left UIndy—and quite possibly college as a whole—if it were not for Dr. Rauch. As a freshman, I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to study. During my sophomore year, I had a heart-to-heart with Dr. Rauch and she introduced me to the Community Health Education major [now Public Health Education and Promotion].

Q: How did UIndy prepare you for your current job?

A: The hands-on experiences I had there helped me a lot. I find myself brainstorming and thinking back to what I learned in my classes. UIndy does a great job of creating a professional atmosphere and framing its coursework around job-related tasks, so that students are prepared to hit the ground running.

Q: What activities were you involved in?

A: I played on the men’s soccer team all four years. I was also heavily involved in many Special Olympics Indiana events, including bowling, basketball, golf, the Polar Plunge, and even a trip to Athens, Greece, to volunteer at the Special Olympics World Games.

Q: How did you grow personally while at the University of Indianapolis?

A: I grew up, and I mean this in more ways than one. I gained new friendships, discovered a professional passion, and traveled and experienced other cultures. UIndy provides an infinite amount of ways for its students to grow.

Q: What is the Healthy Diploma and how has it benefited you?

A: The Healthy Diploma program helps students learn about health risks and understand dimensions of wellness. During every interview I have had thus far, the Healthy Diploma concentration has been a topic of interest for employers.

Q: Favorite memory at UIndy?

A: My summer trip to Athens in 2011 to volunteer at the Special Olympics World Games. I still speak about it to this day, and it got me involved with numerous other volunteer opportunities with Special Olympics Indiana. After this trip, I coordinated three successful Polar Plunge fundraisers for the men’s soccer team.

Q: How did you get your first job?

A: During senior year, I interned for Community Health Network’s Employee Health Promotions division. I was offered a position before graduation and started as a preventative care specialist. My internship helped quite a bit because I worked with several wellness experts and gained a lot of knowledge about corporate wellness.

Q: What advice do you have for prospective students?

A: UIndy can open doors to the professional world and jump-start your dream career. Don’t lose sight of your goals: meet new people, try new things, challenge yourself, have fun! UIndy provides all of these opportunities to its students, and the good thing is, they all open doors to your future!