Inside Scoop
Making the Most of Your Campus Visit

with Amy Ragle ’18, ’20 (Biology, Occupational Therapy)

Making the trip to campus? Student Tour Guide Amy Ragle gives insider’s advice on good questions to ask, her must-see spots on campus and how to maximize your campus tour experience.

Top questions that a visiting student should ask during a visit:

• What is a typical day like?
  • What is the average class size?
  • What is there to do during your free time/on the weekends?
  • What are the dining options?
  • What study-abroad opportunities are there?

Top things that a visiting student should see:

• Career and student services (advising, Professional Edge Center)
  • Dining options
  • Recreation and leisure areas: Ruth Lilly Fitness Center, Athletic Recreational Center, Smith Mall and Schwitzer Student Center
  • Residence hall, if you plan to live on campus
  • Library/study spaces
  • Academic building/classroom most appropriate to your major
  • Admissions, financial aid and registrars offices.

Funniest, oddest question that a visitor has asked? 

Probably two of the strangest questions I have been asked are “What wind-speeds can the ARC (athletic recreational center) dome withstand?” and “What type of brick is Good Hall made out of?”

What got you involved as a student tour guide?

When I visited the campus 6 years ago, the tour guides I had were very welcoming and really helped me envision what it would be like in college. I wanted to be able to have that same impact on others -whether that led them to the University of Indianapolis or helped provide some clarity in this big step that high schoolers, graduating seniors, or prospective transfer students have to make. 

What is your favorite place to show on campus?

I love showing the views of campus and downtown on a nice, sunny day from the 4th floor of the Health Pavilion. From here you are able to look out over most of the campus, the football field, and even the Indianapolis skyline. the Indianapolis skyline. I also love showing off all the areas that students can study and hang out during their free time. I like o help prospective students envision themselves here on campus academically and socially. 

Anything else you’d like to add about UIndy?

For anyone who wants to travel or study overseas, UIndy provides many opportunities to do so through study-abroad programs and shorter trips during UIndy’s spring term. Overall, UIndy is a great campus! I’ve been able to network, connect and create friendships with many people both from campus and in the community during my time at UIndy.  

Schedule your campus visit: uindy.edu/admissions/visit-the-campus