Spring 2020
Megan Hensley '19 ringing the success bell
Find Your Edge

I  just wanted to say thank you for all of your help through my years at UIndy and helping me prep for the biggest interview of my life! – Megan Hensley ’19

As early as freshman year, University of Indianapolis students receive expert career guidance from counselors who care. The Professional Edge Center (Pro Edge) works with students to define and achieve their first destination goals. Through essential skills training, one-on-one coaching, career planning and more, students are empowered to become confident, competitive, and career-ready.

ProEdge supports you diagram

Students from all academic areas can take advantage of what Pro Edge has to offer, starting with the creation of a personal profile in Handshake, a career management system for students and employers to connect. Pro Edge’s counselors offer guidance with résumé writing, cover letters, personal statements for graduate school, and creating reference lists for job applications. Pro Edge also hosts events throughout the year to help students refine professional skills, learn more about various career fields, and network with potential employers. 

The Success Bell is a familiar sound in the Pro Edge office, located on the second floor of the Schwitzer Student Center. Whenever students have a milestone to celebrate, such as an internship or a job offer, they’re encouraged to ring the bell. Stephanie Kendall-Deitz, associate director of healthcare careers at Pro Edge, emphasized the work taking place behind the scenes in order to reach that goal.

“We love to celebrate with all of our students. We recognize that there is a lot of hard work behind those accomplishments. We are especially proud of our students who work with us consistently for all four years of their undergrad career. These are the students who really buy into our offer to work with them from ‘registration to graduation and beyond,’” Kendall-Deitz said.

One of those students, Megan Hensley ’19 (nursing), recently received a job offer at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital working in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. She has worked closely with the Professional Edge Center since her early days at UIndy.  Her mock interview at Pro Edge helped prepare her for the opportunity, as did her job shadow experience.

Immediately following her receiving a job offer, she sent this note to the Professional Edge Center:  “I just absolutely fell in love with the complexity of the patient population as well as the research and success Children’s has had with these transplants,” Hensley said. “I got a call from the nursing recruiter today with a job offer. I couldn’t help but accept the position and I had to let you know I am going to be a pediatric nurse!! I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help through my years at UIndy and helping me prep for the biggest interview of my life! I have to come and ring that bell!”

Fun Facts

• 2,300 appointments per academic year
  • 1,400 students served per academic year
ProEdge team with their 10,000th appointment

Learn more at uindy.edu/professional-edge